History of the Village Hall
Built in the middle of the 1800's as a lace school for the Buckinghamshire pillow lace, the Parish Room was for the girls of the Parish. Not only did they learn the art of fine lace making they were also were taught the three R's by the dame who ran the school.
With the introduction of compulsory education in 1866 the Hambleden lace school became a church school for both boys and girls. The school continued until 1900 when it moved to purpose built premises just outside the village and the old school building, which was part of the Parish Church, became the Parish Room, used for meetings, plays and general entertainment by the village and its people.
About 40 years ago it was set up as a separate charity, detached from the Parish Church and today it belongs to the people of Hambleden for their use, overseen by a board of trustees and managed by a committee of volunteers.